Saturday, June 1, 2013

Whoopsie...

So we had a busy day today... went to the waterpark and wore out the kids for a couple of hours.  When we got home it was nap time and quiet time for everybody!  The husband had to run an errand, the boys went down for naps, and the little princess was watching a movie in the playroom.  I took advantage of this rare time and figured I'd wash the grime off of me from the day at the park.  As I was in the shower, I thought "Shoot!  Put new bandaids on her fingers ASAP"  Obviously they came off from being at the waterpark all day, and she was now tired, watching a movie... prime time for pulling.  But she has been doing really good lately, maybe it's ok???
Husband gets home as I'm getting out of the shower and I hear him talking to her in a very frustrating voice.  I knew it.  I knew exactly what he was angry about.  I immediately intercepted, we can NOT be upset when she has an episode of pulling.  I grabbed her and hugged her, she was clearly upset and started crying.  I fought back the tears too, but I just hugged her and hugged her and told her that it's ok.  I told her that her brows are going to grow back and she's going to want to pull them again and again, and lots of other little girls just like her do the same exact thing.  When I looked at her brows it had appeared she really only pulled maybe 3 little spots... it wasn't that bad.  I told her that you can't even tell (they are so practically naked anyways!) and that I will fix them with a little makeup before we go to the birthday party later. We even got to put some lip gloss on :)
I think I did an ok job recovering the situation quickly.  I reminded the husband that we can't have a negative reaction in front of her when this happens.  I couldn't help but get the feeling he was upset that I didn't put the new bandaids on right away, and reminded him that we can't blame ourselves when these set-backs happen.  The bandaids are only a temporary solution anyways.  If this is something we are really going to have to deal with when she's older she will learn that all she has to do is take them off to pull if the urge is that strong.  She's already done it once! 
Anyways, a quick makeup job with some sparkly lip gloss and off to the birthday party we went without a hitch.  She had a blast at the party and I'm sure she didn't even think of it the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your story or comment here. Remember, keep your comments positive!