Friday, May 24, 2013

A Band-Aid is just a Band-Aid:

Well, I always knew this day would come, the day she figured out she could just take her Band-Aids off whenever she wanted to pull again.  I just didn’t think she would figure it out this soon.  But she is a smart little bugger, always has been!  Today she came downstairs after quiet time to tell me her Band-Aids “fell off” and she needed new ones.  I took a look at her face and noticed the newly bald spots in her brows.  I asked her if she took them off and she said no.  But when I asked her if she pulled her brows she was immediately ashamed and said yes.  The brows were just starting to sprout tiny new hairs and that familiar feeling of hope that maybe they would grow back and she would leave them alone this time, was immediately shattered.  I didn’t let her see my disappointment, my heartbreak for her, my sadness, my frustration.  Instead I hugged her and told her it was ok, and that I’m glad she told me the truth.  We try to be very open about it, and I tell her she can tell me any time and I will never be mad at her.  I don’t want her to feel ashamed, like she has to hide it from us.  After everything she is already feeling that is the last thing I want her to worry about, is how I am going to react.  She did ask for new Band-Aids, and at first I thought, what’s the point if she’s just going to take them off again?  But if she asked for them that's a positive thing, she is realizing that they are helping at least.  So I made a deal with her:  If she keeps the Band-Aids on all day, and doesn’t take them off, she gets a surprise.  I’m trying to focus on rewarding her behavior of keeping the Band-Aids on.  Not so much rewarding her for NOT pulling, but doing something positive to help control her behavior.  If she comes home with Band-Aids on today, I get to paint her nails as a reward.  She loves this!  If not, we try again tomorrow.  Staying positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your story or comment here. Remember, keep your comments positive!