Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Let it Go!!

Are you getting sick of that song yet??  We have listened to it so many times now that we are now listening to it in Spanish and Japanese just to keep things fresh!
So it's been over a year since Trich first appeared in our lives.  What began as confusion and frustration, is now hope and acceptance.  A huge step for me personally was to "let it go".  Now, I hardly notice my daughter's missing lashes.  I don't get as frustrated or angry with her when I catch her doing it. Sometimes we even joke about it and try to make light of the situation.  The other day I was singing to her "Let em Growww" and she rolled her eyes at me as if to say "mom you're such a dork". But at the end of the day, it's her face, it's her hair, and I can't control trich any more than she can.  It feels good to let it go.  I'm not saying we are giving up on helping her; we're just not letting it consume our lives.
Over the past year we have learned a lot.  We are doing the best we can between supplements and diet modification.  We have had some success managing the severity of her pulling.  She has full brows again and hasn't pulled them in months!  We have also accepted the fact that trich is here, and there are good days and bad days.  We have educated ourselves, our friends, and our family.  My little girl can now pronounce the word Trichotillomania and tell you what it means, almost with pride.  She also gave purple awareness bracelets to her teacher and her therapist, and isn't afraid to talk about.  She really owns it, and I'm proud of her for the progress she's made!

2 comments:

  1. SO so happy for you. This is a good place to be. This was the place I was at when I was able to begin stopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annelise! That is very encouraging to hear!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your story or comment here. Remember, keep your comments positive!